Just who or what is Ski for Heat?
- Ski for Heat is a small 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, founded and run by Martha, that is dedicated to helping others in her community to stay warm during Vermont’s cold winters.
- All time is volunteered (no paid staff here!), and with help from her family, friends, and board, Ski for Heat has been warming hearts and homes since 2001.
- Ski for Heat is thankful for and made possible by the generous donations and contributions it receives from thoughtful individuals and businesses.
- Martha gives a special “shout out” to her twin sister, Laura, the wizard behind the curtain and the very best friend a girl or nonprofit could have!
In a nutshell, how does the Ski for Heat day work?
- First decide if you would like to alpine ski/ride or x-c ski/snowshoe for heat on January 31, 2016.
- Go to the Register button (on our events & registration page) for the ski area you want to go to.
- This will bring you to our secure FirstGiving page, where you can read more details and will set up a quick account page (no fee).
- Please note: Wild Wings skiers do not need to register in advance, but Bromley Mountain skiers do.
- You have the option to create your own fundraising page. You can let friends & family know what you are doing: share your good works, help spread the word, and raise money for a good cause (and the chance to win a prize)!
- If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the incentives to participate?
- Participants will receive either free or special Ski for Heat trail and lift pass rates at the participating areas.
- Participants who raise $35 or more in donations will receive a free long-sleeve t-shirt. See our events page for details
- You can be a novice or an expert and make the day your own.
- Top fundraisers will be eligible to win prizes.
- While you are out on the trails doing what you love to do, you will also be helping others in our community who need help in staying warm this winter. Most of us have a friend, family member, co-worker, or neighbor who is struggling. This is a fun and easy way to help make a difference.
Where does the money raised go?
All proceeds from Ski for Heat will go to the heating fuel assistance at our local community action agency.
Is this event for expert skiers/riders/shoers only?
- Absolutely not. We want everyone—whether he is first-timer or a retired pro—to have the opportunity to come out and make a difference.
- Each person participates at whatever level she is comfortable; this is not a competition or timed event.
What time does the event take place?
Participants may start and end as their schedules allow and within the operating hours of the ski area.
What if I can’t make it to the event but I already paid a registration fee?
Your registration fee is non-refundable, but remember, it is a tax-deductible donation and will go to a good cause!
I want to support your cause. How can I contribute?
Your donation toward helping our neighbors stay warm this coming winter would be greatly appreciated, regardless of whether or not you participate in Ski for Heat on January 31, 2016.
Is there a rain date if the weather or conditions are bad?
- No, there will not be a rain date. One of the beauties of being in Vermont is the capriciousness of the weather! If the day does not allow for whichever outdoor activity you were planning to participate, please know that your donation is still greatly appreciated, needed, and will go to the heating fuel assistance program.
- If you are unsure if a resort or ski center will be open, please check directly with that area.
Can I bring my dog with me?
How is the Concert & Dance party related to Ski for Heat?
- The benefit concert and dance party is a fun way to raise extra money for and bring awareness to the Ski for Heat cause.
- Bob Stannard & Those Dangerous Bluesmen have been coming from around the state and New England for the past seven years to give an all-out performance for us. (Check out these guys’ bios—unbelievable!)
- Proceeds from the event are donated to Ski for Heat.
- This has become The Event of the Winter in our area.
- Join us and Dance for Heat!